If you’re looking for Courses and Career options after B.Com, then most probably you’re in the final year of your graduation or you’ve completed it.
We all have a dilemma about the career choices at some point during our graduation. Keeping that in mind, I have tried to make this article as comprehensive as possible.
It’s not just another blog which simply lists down the courses after B.com. Rather, it’s a whole analysis of each course – Who should do it and Why should you do it?
Making an appropriate career choice after B.Com is a BIG Deal. Even a slightest mistake at this point of your career can land you into distress.
To help you decide about the career path, this article lists out different career option with relevant details such as Salaries, Job profiles, Cost and Time Duration of the course.
Job Oriented Certifications
Most of the times when we’re looking for career options, we’re actually interested in the Jobs that we would get if we choose that option. Thus, we will first look at the short term certifications which can fetch you a decent Job even before your Masters, given that you work hard.
Investment Banking Certification
This is the most elite Job profile that you can get just after B.com. It’s related to core finance and not accounts, audit or taxation. If you’ve ever been fascinated by the companies such as Goldman Sachs, JP morgan or HSBC, then let me tell you, this is the most desired profile that they offer.
- Duration – 1 to 2 Months
- Estimated Cost – Rs. 50,000
- Job profiles – Equity research, Business Valuation, Financial modeling
- Employers – HSBC, EY, KPMG, Mcube, JP Morgan, CRISIL, Moody’s and thousands of boutique investment banking firms.
- Average Salary – It depends upon your previous work experience, academic background and negotiation skills. Generally, B.com freshers get Rs. 3 to 6 lakh per annum.
- Best Institute to pursue this course – Honestly speaking, the main criteria for choosing the best in this industry should be ‘Transparency’ of placements. No other institution except The Wallstreet School reveals the past placements. We’ve revealed the real Linkedin and Facebook accounts of around 1,000 previously placed candidates, who have solidified their base in Investment Banking domain on our Placement section. You can do your R&D and get back to us, if you’re interested in this course.
Digital Marketing Certification
This is another trending certification that commerce graduates can pursue without any technical skillset as pre-requisite. If you’re fascinated by the terms such as SEO, SMM, SEM or PPC, then you must be knowing by now that they all come under the umbrella of Digital marketing.
- Duration – 3 to 4 Months
- Estimated Cost – Rs. 50,000
- Job profiles – This is the most interesting part pertaining to Digital marketing industry. You work with clients to increase their sales using Social media, Search engines and a bunch of analytical tools
- Employers – Each and every B2C business that sells products or services online.
- Average Salary – For a fresh commerce graduate, the salary ranges between 2 to 4 Lakhs.
- Best Institute to pursue this course – You will find a ton of content over the web to learn Digital Marketing. But I would suggest you to not to go to any particular institute. Rather, you can follow some super knowledgeable Channels such as – Neil Patel, Ankur Aggarwal and Intellectual Indies.
Data Science Certification
Any and every useful result on earth has been derived from Data. For a simple example, Google Maps gives us the real traffic conditions based upon the data that it collects from the GPS activity of the people around. Netflix or Youtube gives us the recommended videos based upon our past behavior, which is based on Data. If you’re fascinated by How they drive such results, then you can go for this certification.
- Duration – 3 to 4 Months
- Estimated Cost – 1 to 3 Lakh
- Job profiles – Business Analyst, Data Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst
- Employers – All Major KPO’s, EXL Analytics, Moody’s Analytics, EY, KPMG, PWC etc.
- Average Salary – 3 to 4 Lakh for a commerce graduate without prior work experience.
- Best Institute to pursue this course – You can enroll for courses on Udacity or coursera (Trust me, they are best in terms of knowledge). However, if you’re seeking placements, you can go for Great Learning, Edureka, Jigsaw Academy etc.
The Courses under this subhead will give you a Tag (CA,CFA,FRM) which you can use to deliver professional services independently, or as an employee.
Chartered Accountancy (CA)
Each and every finance graduate in India must have tried pursuing CA, or has a friend who is doing CA. The essence is that there are a large number of candidates appearing for such exam, but the pass percentage is really low. If you’re fascinated about analyzing Financial Statements of a company, you can go for this course.
- Duration – After Clearing CPT (Entrance), you can give IPCC (Intermediate) after atleast 1 year. Thereafter, you need to go through articleship under a practicing CA for 2.5 years. Finally you can give CA Final examination. Thus, Minimum Duration is 3.5 years.
- Estimated Cost – 4,00,000
- Job profiles – Audit, Taxation and Due Diligence
- Average Salary – 7 to 8 Lakhs
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
It’s the most sought after degree for those who want to make an International career in core Finance. By core Finance, I don’t mean Audit, Taxation or Accounting. It refers to elite profiles that I’ve mentioned in Investment Banking Certification above. It adds to your CV and makes it stand out for the employers. Moreover, CFA is a pre-requisite for many finance jobs as well.
- Duration – CFA Level I exam is held in june and December. Whereas, CFA Level II and III examinations are held only in June. Thus minimum duration is 1.5 to 2 years, if you clear it in first attempt.
- Estimated Cost – Enrollment fees is $450 USD. The fees for each Level of CFA ranges from $700 to $1,450 USD.
- Job profiles – Equity Research, Portfolio Management, Valuation Analyst, Investment Banking etc
- Average Salary – Rs 616,736 according to Payscale.
- Recruiters – Major recruiters are Investment Banks and Consulting firms such as HSBC, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Deloitte, PWC, EY, KPMG, Evalueserve etc.
- Best Institute to prepare for CFA – Trust me, the teaching style and experience of the faculty is the main catch here. You would find many coaching centres . The Wallstreet School is an Official CFA prep provider of the CFA institute. People with absolutely zero or negligible knowledge of finance find our CFA training as a major savior for them
Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
Financial Risk Manager is a designation issued by Global association of Risk Professionals (GARP). People with specific interest in Risk Management shall go for this course. Now, the question is – What exactly is Risk Management. Take an example of a Risk Manager of an Insurance company. The Risk Manager would determine whether or not to extend an insurance cover to a particular asset, person or a business or not. He uses various quantitative tools to arrive at the decision.
- Duration – You need to clear both FRM Part I and II. The examination is conducted in November and May. So, the minimum duration is 6 Months. Although you can appear for both the Parts one single day, it’s not recommended. Thereafter, the candidate must acquire atleast 2 years of work experience in risk management to get this certification.
- Estimated Cost – Enrollment fees is $450 USD. The fees for each Level of CFA ranges from $425 to $550 USD.
- Job profiles – Risk Analyst, Operation Risk officer, Risk consultant, Portfolio Manger etc.
- Average Salary – It ranges from INR 8,00,000 to 23,00,000 depending upon your position, experience and industry.
- Recruiters – Recruiters Include Investment Banks, Commercial Banks, Insurance companies and consulting firms such as HSBC, CITI, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Allianz etc.
This is the most traditional path that most of the commerce graduates will follow. But, there’s a big, big catch here. Your career after Post Graduation totally depends upon the Reputation and Brand name of the Institute from where you’re pursuing it. Also, you need to be sure as ‘why’ you’re doing it. Following are the options –
MBA (Master in Business Administration)
If you ask any B.com graduate in India about their future plans, they would say ‘MBA’. MBA can give you practical expertise in area of General Management, operations, Finance or marketing. However, almost 3,00,000 candidates appear for MBA entrances every year, out of which 4,000 to 5,000 candidates get admission in top 30 colleges.
- Duration – 2 years
- Estimated Cost – 15 to 25 Lakh
- Job profiles – It totally depends upon which field have you mastered in – Finance, Marketing, Human Resource or Operations. Also, if your college has a big brand value, you may get a job in core profiles of your domain, otherwise you may end up getting backend or a BPO job.
- Major Entrance Exams – CAT, GMAT, XAT, SNAP, MICAT, IIFT
- Average Salary – Again, It totally depends upon the reputation of the college from where you’re doing MBA. However, according to Payscale, average salary after an MBA degree in India is Rs. 6,99,000.
- Best colleges to pursue MBA – Top seven IIMs, XLRI, SPJIMR, MDI Gurgaon, SIBM Pune, Indian School of Business (ISB)
M.com (Master of Commerce)
Although not preferred by many, but people keep this as a backup option. But in real sense, it should be done if you’re interested in Academia, University teaching or research. It’s an extended version of B.com. Most of the subjects that you learn have roots in the books that you’ve already studied during Undergrad
- Duration – 2 years
- Estimated Cost – 50,000
- Job profiles – Since there is no value addition in skillset if you pursue M.com, the private job opportunities are almost same as that of a B.com graduate. However, if you clear NET (National Eligibility Test), you can apply for the post of Assistant Professor in commerce colleges.
- Average Salary – 3 to 6 Lakhs
- Best Colleges – Delhi School of Economics, Shri Ram College of Commerce, Hindu College.
Government Jobs are know to be the most safest and steady. Most of the Indian parents want their kids to get a secured government Job so that they can settle early in life. Let’s have a look at the major options available.
SSC CGL (Combined Graduate Level)
Combined graduate level exam conducted by staff selection commission is the most sought after competitive government exam in India. It’s also considered as a backup option by the students preparing for UPSC, and that’s why it’s also called Mini IAS. SSC CGL is conducted to fill groub ‘b’ and group ‘c’ vacancies in various departments and ministries of central government.
- Eligibility – The candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree. Also, there’s a maximum age limit depending upon the type of the designation or post.
- Posts and designations– Assistant Section officer, Income tax Inspector, Sub Inspector (CBI), Assistant Audit officer etc
- Ministries and Departments – CBDT, Central Bureau of Investigation, CAG, Ministry of Railway, Ministry of external affairs etc.
- Salaries – The starting salary ranges from 30,000 to 60,000 depending upon the type of the post or designation you have got.
To view complete details regarding Salaries, Eligibility, Age limit, you can visit the official website of Staff Selection Commission
IBPS PO (Bank Probationary officer)
It’s a combined entrance exam conducted by Institute of Banking and Personnel Selection to fill Manager Scale I vacancies in 20+ nationalized banks
- Eligibility – The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized university. Also, the age of the candidate must be between 21 to 30 years.
- Posts – Assistant Manager, Deputy Manager Scale I
- Recruiting Banks – Allahabad Bank, Bank of Baroda, Punjab National Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, State Bank of India etc.
- Job Profile – The work mostly revolves around sanction and processing of loans, customer grievance handling, revenue budgeting etc.
- Salaries – Rs. 40,000 (Approximately) including basic pay, Dearness Allowance, HRA etc.
To view complete details regarding Salaries, Eligibility, Age limit, you can visit the official website of IBPS
UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE)
Union Public service commission conducts this examination to fill in the positions of high repute, power and authority in the central government. Around 1 Million students apply for this examination every year for some odd 800-1000 vacancies.
Eligibility – Eligibility – The candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. Also, the candidate should be atleast 21 years of age and must not have attained the age of 32 years
Designations – Indian Administrative Services, Indian police Services, Indian Revenue Services, Indian Foreign Services etc.
Ministries and Departments – CBDT, Ministry of Railways, Ministry of External Affairs, Home Ministry, Ministry of Finance etc.
Job Profile – All the reputed government designations such as Commissioner of Income Tax, Commissioner of Poilice, District Magistrate, Cabinet Secretary, Additional Secretary.Salary – Starting Salary depends upon the Post and Designation that you’re working on. Total Salary consists of Basic Pay + DA + HRA + TA + other Allowances. To view the complete list of Salaries for various, Designations, click here.
We really hope that this article added to your research of making an appropriate career choice. Ultimately, it’s YOU who has to make the ultimate decision. All the Best!